Sunday, January 6, 2008

"HURT"

Note on blog title: I mean the Johnny Cash cover version of the Nine Inch Nails song, "Hurt". Never liked NIN but Johnny redid several songs including, "Personal Jesus," the Depeche mode song, on this album.


Johnny, just with his guitar and baritone voice, brings a sense of hopeful despair and existential angst I'd not heard in NIN's words.



"What have I become/My sweetest friend/Everyone I know/goes away/In the end/And you could have it all/My empire of dirt/I will let you down/I will make you hurt." (chorus)

Any human beings in any sort of relationship, by dint of living as essentially



"alone but also as social creatures," will hurt the other/others at times--even my sainted parents married over 50 years.

No person can see through another's eye nor know their feelings--unless living life in the B. F. Skinner school of behavioral psychology and electro-shock aversion therapy.



Works "great" on autistic children, however.

No comments: