Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My Christmas Strategy: One for me, one for them

Despite the admonitions of my sister who still talks to me that her daughters need nothing but love from me, put pressure on myself to give them something for them to have fond memories of me to pass on to their offspring as have tried to pass on the memories of my great aunt Helen, a fabulous woman from Mount Pilot, NC.

Without great financial resources, this proves difficult.

As for other sister who deigns not to speak with me, send her a bottle of wine to her local liquor store so she has to pick it up while she gives me nothing, so I feel less pressure buying for her and her 2 sons.  In fact, feel resentment which can make Christmas an emotionally trying time.  To solve this, I start with a gift for myself.

One for me, one for them works fine for me mentally.

As a frugal man, I rend not to buy clothes until my old ones disintegrate.  How many black t-shirts can 1 man own and wear?  Retired now so only need 1 pair of shoes and only replace when absolutely full of holes.  So this year splurged on a new pair of shoes or "kicks" as kids today call 'em.

Although generally not a shopper by brand but rather price, went back 4 decades to buy the trendy shoe of my youth, Converse Chuck Taylors.

As the prophet wrote, truly "There is nothing new under the sun."

What was once old fashioned would seem to have become fashionable again.

And comfy too.


No comments: