Friday, July 27, 2012

Hubris, Meet Mitt Romney

Come to think of it, all the boorish prattling on of "I saved the Olympics," points to grandiose view of self ignoring thousands of managers and workers and billions of dollars in federal grants. and sweetheart deals for campaign contributors.


But to issue an Olympic pin of oneself, made in China?


Truly gauche.

[As head of the Salt Lake Olympics Mitt Romney became the first Olympic executive to approve a series of commemorative pins in his likeness. (They're in the news right now because they were made in China, but their mere existence is its own indictment of Romney's judgment.)]
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/mitt-romney-issued-comically-bizarre-cartoon-mitt#HTWF2



[Now I know there's this whole pin trading culture. When I took my kids to Disneyland, we were inundated by it, and I understand it was a really big thing at the China Summer Olympics. But really, commissioning a series of pins of an executive? That's just...odd. A mascot? Sure. Maybe even the Queen for the London Olympics, I can see. But an executive? Why did anyone think there would be demand for that?

Doncha just love the manly jawline? The silky tresses? The sexy little cleft? Funny, I don't remember that on 
the original. Artistic license, I suppose.]



No comments: