Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Worldly ambition inhibits true learning"

[Originally posted at TomDispatch

Worldly ambition inhibits true learning. Ask me. I know. A young man in a hurry is nearly ineducable: He knows what he wants and where he’s headed; when it comes to looking back or entertaining heretical thoughts, he has neither the time nor the inclination. All that counts is that he is going somewhere. Only as ambition wanes does education become a possibility.

My own education did not commence until I had reached middle age. I can fix its start date with precision: for me, education began in Berlin, on a winter’s evening, at the Brandenburg Gate, not long after the Berlin Wall had fallen...
 
Now, I started, however hesitantly, to suspect that orthodoxy might be a sham. I began to appreciate that authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high -- whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops -- is inherently suspect. The powerful, I came to see, reveal truth only to the extent that it suits them.] or to the extent "the powerful" failed to educate themselves; emphasis added
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-bacevich/post_751_b_695495.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=082610&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BlogEntry

No comments: