Saturday, August 25, 2012

God Bless the Engineers

God bless the engineers of all ages of humanity, from prehistory and making tools to those who labored for humans to walk on the moon, for though we have faith in our false security of 21st century technology which requires nerds with computer algorithms and programming skills, the adventure of the human race always requires someone to put their butt in a seat in a raft made from reeds to cross the Pacific to new lands or in a lunar lander to touch down on soil alien to the human race.

Occam's unforgiving razor fairly assures the reckless did not survive those journeys but those who planned and plotted and pioneered tried to assure the best they could their survival in the adventure.

God bless the engineers, because among the best exist a few who say we've tried to know the unknowable and think we can do it so let's try.

Light that candle.  Hey Ho, let's go!

[In his own words:

On touching down: "Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed...."


Looking back at Earth: "It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet. I felt very, very small."

On his career: "I am, and ever will be, a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer. And I take a substantial amount of pride in the accomplishments of my profession."]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/neil-armstrong-one-of-the-greatest-american-heroes-of-all-time-8081425.html

No comments: