Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ouch!

Me too.

[aldron on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Football isn’t our most beautiful game, but it is our most pure. It combines speed, grace, and unadulterated brutality in a way that no other sport does, and there is something uniquely attractive about that. But I’m starting to question whether I should find that attractive, or whether I should even watch at all.

I’ve already made the decision that my hypothetical future son, should I have one, won’t be allowed on a football field. The proven dangers are too risky, the unproven dangers riskier still. I don’t want my child damaged beyond repair by a brutal hit; even more, I don’t want him cognitively mangled by repeated, constant bodily abuse.

And yet, for some reason, I spend hours watching other people’s children do exactly that.

At what point does it become too much?]

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/09/04/788901/my-personal-struggle-with-the-future-of-football/

No comments: